[gorjuss] 20111117

Giles Turnbull giles at gilest.org
Thu Nov 17 04:11:20 PST 2011

Kevin Fong on human space flight. He's an excellent speaker, and this
talk is fascinating.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b016vpy6

All these worlds are yours, except Europa. Attempt no landings there.

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2011/16nov_europa/

I have no idea if the boy is going to be interested in writing code -
I've shown him Scratch but he's not interested. Not yet. If and when
he is, this list of resources from Coding for Kids might be useful.

http://codingforkids.org/wiki/Learning_resources_and_blogs_etc

App-promoting splash screens on mobile: bad, says Martin Sutherland.
And he's right:

"It's disrespectful. If a user has arrived at your website using a web
browser, very likely by following a link from another website, then
maybe they were trying to use their web browser to use your website.
Extend your users the courtesy of considering that they might actually
know what they're doing."

http://goo.gl/gm8pR (sunpig.com)

OpenMIC 12, ubicompdroid stuff.

http://goo.gl/ZrpNi (open-mic.org.uk)

NASA's very short radar movie of 2005 YU55, the rock that passed very
close to us a week or so ago.

http://goo.gl/ESlmQ (nasa.gov)