[gorjuss] Links for Wednesday, 18th April 2012

Giles Turnbull giles at gilest.org
Wed Apr 18 12:07:06 PDT 2012

It's not been the best of Easter breaks. I got struck by illness,
hayfever, and someone else's car. Well, my car was struck by another
car. Luckily my only injuries were a dose of whiplash and a cut behind
one ear, but (as is always the case), it could have been much worse.
Barney was in the car with me but thankfully suffered nothing worse
than mild shock. Our car was written off.

As a consequence my mind has been on other things, and some of these
links may be a bit stale. Sorry about that. Anyway, on with the show.

Our local photo group is having an exhibition this coming weekend. If
you're near, please pop down and have a look:

http://gilest.org/file/boaexhib2012-version.jpg

Leigh Dodds is doing something interesting with data:

http://datasulis.org/blog/2012/03/27/hello-bath-hackers/

Part of Bristol Temple Meads station, designed by Brunel and recently
used as an indoor car park, is going to become a railway station once
again as part of a new electrified Bristol-London link. Sounds
exciting:

http://goo.gl/v04zz (thisisbristol.co.uk) (thanks @mrjoe)

"Welcome to Bristol"

http://www.flickr.com/photos/i_y_e_r_s/6880456066/ (thanks @libbymiller)

A detailed history of bus and tram routes in Bristol:

http://www.bvbg.org.uk/Routes.htm

Put a hat on it!

http://hatsterapp.com/

Does anyone know what "indie wok" is?

http://gilest.org/file/indiewok.jpg

The full version of New Order's Elegia, which I've never heard before
and had no idea existed

http://tinyurl.com/bwngcvt (flavorwire.com)

(My usual goo.gl Alfred script is broken, hence the return of TinyURL)

This message, or variations of it, pop up every time I access the App
Store now. Anyone know how to make it stop?

http://gilest.org/file/cannot.jpg

I've switched off iMessage because it drives me potty - I simply can't
trust it to deliver messages. At first I thought it was just slower
than SMS, but it turns out that some messages simply never arrived at
their destination - despite iMessage calmly telling me they'd been
"Delivered". This conversation, from a couple of weeks ago, was the
final straw. I sent Kate multiple iMessages about plans for the day,
and it told me she'd got them. She hadn't. They never arrived on her
phone. That's why I've switched off iMessage.

http://gilest.org/file/thisisalie.jpg

As for buying a new car - we're quite taken by the odd looks (and low
price) of the Skoda Roomster:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%A0koda_Roomster