[gorjuss] Links for Friday, 6th January 2012

Giles Turnbull giles at gilest.org
Fri Jan 6 08:13:24 PST 2012

Fletcher Penney's created a Markdown editor for OS X, yours for seven
squids on the Mac App Store. I'm taking a look at it this weekend, for
MacUser review.

http://multimarkdown.com/

80,000 years to reach Alpha Centauri

http://www.iop.org/news/12/jan/page_53365.html (thanks @DrLucyRogers)

Found an old image of my dock, as it was in August 2003. Notational
Velocity and BBEdit are the only apps that still have a place there
today.

http://gilest.org/file/gt-dock.jpg

The boy got one of these for Christmas; simple snap-together electric
circuits, a bit like Lego. Kept him entertained for ages.

http://www.logiblocs.com/shop/kits/electric-city/

Some eye-opening data on how things have changed since Thatcher's day

http://goo.gl/pT3vQ (The Guardian) (via @danbri)

Not the Giles Turnbull I was ego surfing for:

http://www.eventindustrynews.co.uk/2012/01/keeping-winter-wonderland-safe.html

Which soft drink will dissolve a mouse fastest?

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/Dissolving-Mice-in-Soft-Drinks (via @paulmutton)

Handy for writing Pretend Office stuff, but could do with a "random" button:

http://www.theofficelife.com/business-jargon-dictionary-A.html

Talking of which...

http://www.pretendoffice.co.uk/news.html

Paul Boag on that EU legislation that affects use of cookies. His
advice boils down to "Don't Panic!", which is probably wise. That
said, if everyone starts adding banners like the cack-handed thing
that currently sits at the top of the ICO's website, there might be
cause to panic after all.

http://boagworld.com/news/do-you-need-to-worry-about-the-cookie-crisis/
http://www.ico.gov.uk