[gorjuss] Links for Tuesday, 10th January 2012

Giles Turnbull giles at gilest.org
Tue Jan 10 08:48:38 PST 2012

It's Alan Turing Year! Oh yes it is.

http://www.turingcentenary.eu/

... there are *lots* of related events

http://www.mathcomp.leeds.ac.uk/turing2012/give-page.php?13

Per yesterday's [gorjuss], it seems some of you have fond memories of
using GreyMatter back in the day. Although Noah Grey has no
involvement with it anymore, you can still download it, and there's a
forum for users to share problems.

http://web.petefinnigan.com/greymatter.htm
http://greymatterforum.proboards.com/

I'm getting quite excited about Raspberry Pi, and plan to buy one when
they go on sale. This is the first I've heard about a third-party
expansion board, known as Gertboard.

http://goo.gl/VzaqF (hardware.slashdot.org)

That new Fujifilm X-Pro 1 camera does look lovely, but have you seen
this beast of a flash they're making for it? A *beast* I tell you.

http://2.s.img-dpreview.com/files/news/9685207657/OP11100678.jpg

As well as playing around with MultiMarkdown Composer over the
weekend, I also had a look at Mou, another Markdown editor. It's nice.
In fact, it's nice for any sort of text editing, not just Markdown.

http://mouapp.com/

Insync is a thing that "Syncs your Google Docs across your devices." I
confess I was initially confused when I read that description - I
thought the web was the thing that synced your Google Docs across
devices. What Insync does is add a magic folder to your computer, just
like Dropbox, so you can add files to your G Docs account just by
dragging them in.

https://www.insynchq.com/

Here are the maps of that new London-Birmingham rail route (warning:
here be PDFs)

http://www.dft.gov.uk/publications/hs2-maps-20120110/

... my favourite so far is Map 26, showing the bridges and road
diversions that will be needed to cross the M6/M42 junction to the
east of Birmingham

http://goo.gl/DJlch (huge PDF file; dft.gov.uk)

Circuit Lab, an electronics circuit designing tool for OS X. Nine
squids on the App Store.

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/circuit-lab/id466239613

And this is Tremors, a global seismic activity app. Two squids.

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/tremors/id420319267