[gorjuss] Links for Wednesday, 27th February 2013

Giles Turnbull giles at gilest.org
Wed Feb 27 14:55:21 PST 2013

Listened to some lovely radio while driving back from the airport
yesterday. First was The Listeners, about people who listen to things
for a living. Full of great stuff but I particularly enjoyed the
recorded sounds of earthquakes. They sound so HUGE.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01qw9k2

Then right after that was a programme about a piece of music:
Pergolesi's Stabat Mater. The jazz and pop versions of it towards the
end didn't float my boat, but hearing various snippets of the original
piece several times during the programme made me want to hear it
properly. Here's the programme:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01qwb2n

And here's one of several versions of the music on Spotify:

http://open.spotify.com/album/6bPCZb1WjvotzyNkg2LciV

The Environment Agency is hosting a hack day in Bristol in a couple of weeks

http://envhack.com/en/posts/

NASA's summary of the Russian meteor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qZ6oiaSm00

Dave the what? Dave the cave!

http://davethecave.wordpress.com/

TV geologist Iain Stewart on the rebranding of geology in schools

http://britgeopeople.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/geology-earth-science-delete-where.html