[gorjuss] Links for Tuesday, 19th November 2013

Giles Turnbull giles at gilest.org
Tue Nov 19 08:49:29 PST 2013

A little pen-portrait I wrote for TMN: The Window Cleaner

http://www.themorningnews.org/article/the-window-cleaner

John Siracusa rants about Minecraft mods. Every word he says is true. The
Minecraft community is a terrible, awful mess, and Mojang really need to
take charge and do something about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FecJUj6fq9I#t=806 (20 minutes audio) (thanks
to Robert Brook)

"Muniment" means "document or record, especially one kept in an archive".
Some places have someone in charge of the muniments, a role often known as
"keeper of the muniments". Westminster Abbey has one such keeper.

http://www.westminster-abbey.org/library-research/muniment-collection

Here's a book about the Abbey's muniments.

http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Muniments-Westminster-Record-Series/dp/1843837439

... great word, muniments. Muniments. Muuuuuuuuuniments.

Photos of Vince Clarke's studio, where the walls are made of synths

http://www.vinceclarkemusic.com/thestudio/index.html (thanks again Robert
Brook)

... and look, here's a bunch of videos in which Vince takes you through his
synth collection. Just watch the first one, it's great. He gives you a
guided tour of a 1982-vintage Pro One, then a quick demo of what it can do.
Lovely.

http://www.vinceclarkemusic.com/video/index.html

The first vid works fine but I had trouble getting the others to play in
Chrome - your milage may vary etc. Some of them are on YouTube if you go
hunting there. Here's one about the ARP 2600, the machine that links R2-D2
and Alison Moyet. Oh yes it does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYTEe5ev1to

Lovely GDS data screens by Mat Johnson

https://gds-screens-items.herokuapp.com/