[gorjuss] Links for Thursday, 11th July 2014

Giles Turnbull giles at gilest.org
Thu Jul 10 08:55:55 PDT 2014

My friend Lydia organised that karaoke night on Monday - the one I sent you
some photos of - in aid of Cancer Research UK. If you could spare her a
couple of pounds so she can reach her £500 fundraising target, that would
be lovely.

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/team/thebigcsingathon

For what it's worth, I went along and sang "Common People" by Pulp, and "Up
the junction" by Squeeze. Oh yes I did.

Here's what it's like inside the bus wash

http://vimeo.com/100201241

A smashing little post by Leisa Reichelt: "Help Joy help you."

http://www.disambiguity.com/help-joy-help-you/

Fed up with me moaning about dull train journeys, a friend suggested I
should download Mason Mcqueen's "A Cabbie Abroad" from iPlayer to watch on
the way home from London. I didn't expect to enjoy it, but I did. The
taxi-driving bit is just a small fraction of the show, the rest is
travelogue/cultural history. Mason is a likeable fellow.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0485ls7

Terrific post by Maciej Ceglowski on the occasion of Pinboard's fifth
birthday, which I shall now quote at length:

"I see my role much like a small-town praire banker in the 1880's. My job
is to project an aura of calm, solvency, and permanence in an industry
where none of those adjectives applies. People are justifiably risk-averse
when it comes to their bookmarks, and they are looking for stability. This
means several things at once:

"On the most basic level, the site just has to work.

"On the design level, it means not futzing with stuff unnecessarily, except
for bug fixes and basic improvements. Luckily there is so much work to do
on Pinboard that I am immune to the temptations of a redesign. If there is
a feature (or bug) you love in 2014, chances are excellent it will still be
there, like a cherished friend, years from now when your trembling and aged
hands go to make that final click."

Most of which holds true for government services too.

https://blog.pinboard.in/2014/07/pinboard_turns_five/