[gorjuss] Links for Monday, 28th July 2014

Giles Turnbull giles at gilest.org
Mon Jul 28 14:50:21 PDT 2014

Almost every day I discover something else m'colleagues have made or done
which leaves me amazed and astonished. Today's Best Thing Ever is Magna
Charta, a thing that turns HTML tables into lovely charts

https://github.com/alphagov/magna-charta
http://alphagov.github.io/magna-charta/

Teachers dancing behind students - filmed at a school in Trowbridge, just
down the road from my house.

http://youtu.be/lp94ZgP_KOI

How Marko Ahtisaari gets things done:

"Do four hours of good work a day. Good work is work on those things that
are meaningful to you and give you satisfaction. This doesn't mean that you
only work four hours a day, but that you make sure you have four good hours
in a day."

http://ahtisaari.typepad.com/moia/2014/06/ruska-leading-the-creative-self.html

One of my favourite Gileses on the internet is Giles Booth, who left a job
as a radio producer at the BBC to become a primary school teacher. He's
written a candid school report after his first year in the classroom:

"I had recently come very close to quitting for the second time, after a
bad observation. I’d thought that if I was that bad, that far into the
course, there really was no hope. I was physically and mentally exhausted,
walking to school with tears in my eyes every morning, and getting ill. I
was working about 10 times harder than I had done in the BBC (all day,
every day, including weekends) and earning less than half the money."

There is a happy ending though.

http://www.suppertime.co.uk/blogmywiki/2014/07/school-direct/