[gorjuss] Links for Thursday, 6th November 2014

Giles Turnbull giles at gilest.org
Thu Nov 6 08:26:21 PST 2014

I keep forgetting about The Kid Should See This, a blog with loads of
stuff that the kid really should see

http://thekidshouldseethis.com

There's an annoying bug in BBEdit 11 / OS X Yosemite that keeps hiding
the application toolbar out of sight. Until it's fixed, someone's
posted an Applescript workaround here.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/bbedit/28lKIhZXEjc

Chris Chant, writing earlier this year:

"When I hear that one of the largest Whitehall departments turned to
the biggest IT supplier to government for a hosting service and was
quoted £8m, only to find that an identical service was available on
G-Cloud for £1m, I think that at last people are starting to get it.
Even better, that big IT supplier was suddenly able to match that £1m
price – how did they manage that, you have to wonder?"

http://tinyurl.com/q93hqub (www.rainmaker.solutions)

Alastair Reynolds writes his novels in a garden shed with no internet:

"I made a conscious decision to deny myself internet access, and –
speaking only for myself – that has worked out tremendously well. In
my previous writing rooms, I have always made a point of not having
internet in the room itself but the weak link has been that it is
always present elsewhere in the house. However, now I simply don’t
have it, and the wifi signal is too weak to be useful even if
temptation gets the better of me. Surrounded by music, and with a
kettle on standby, I find that I seldom miss internet access during my
writing hours. If I need some vital piece of research, it can
generally wait until the evening."

http://www.alastairreynolds.com/novel-delivered/

National Archives have loads of First World War stuff up online for
the centenary

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/first-world-war/