[gorjuss] Links for Friday, 17th August 2012

Giles Turnbull giles at gilest.org
Fri Aug 17 13:56:58 PDT 2012

There's a cracking Sky at Night on iPlayer right now, about home-made
observatories. The German guy who grinds his own mirrors has an
*amazing* garden-shed sliding-roof observatory/lair. I want one.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/b01m2r8z/

This is the guy:

http://www.dur.ac.uk/physics/staff/profiles/?id=1839

And here are some of his photos:

http://forum.popastro.com/viewtopic.php?p=9692

The programme features this week's galaxy Guest Star, M-51

http://messier.obspm.fr/m/m051.html

And watching it sent me on a 40 minute browse of Amazon for
telescopes. They're cheaper than I expected. Well, the ones on Amazon
are, but I suspect they're not much good until you start paying real
money.

Finally this evening: the official Sir Patrick Moore FAQ

http://sirpatrickmoore.com/faq/

My favourite:

Q: Were the Moon landings faked?

A: Of course not! Anybody who believes this must be incredibly stupid.