[gorjuss] Links for Tuesday, 3rd January 2012

Giles Turnbull giles at gilest.org
Tue Jan 3 09:31:10 PST 2012

Hello! Cor. First new gorjuss of 2012. Hope you like it. Feedback
always welcome, as it always used to be. You know where to find me.
Anyway. Further up and further in, as CS Lewis used to say.

Sixty Symbols is a lovely iTunesU series about science:

http://sixtysymbols.com/

Here's their user-friendly take on dark matter, for example:

http://sixtysymbols.com/videos/darkmatter.htm

(I spent some time poking around inside iTunes U over the holidays -
there's lots of amazing stuff in there which I intend to mention here
in future).

I knew about Neil Sedaka's song "Oh Carol"...

http://open.spotify.com/track/0GCKw83Ch8pCwa1iQLtdNy

... but I didn't know about Carole King's hilarious response, "Oh Neil"

http://open.spotify.com/track/0r7KQiVJbaT6y2wsoe11t7

(From Phil Gyford's "Always Magic in the Air" playlist)

http://goo.gl/fEVsl  (Spotify)

Remember Martin Dodge's Atlas of Cyberspace from 2001? You can
download the whole thing for free now

http://www.kitchin.org/atlas/contents.html

My friend Paul took this photo of Tesco's shiny new Easter display
today. It sums up all that's wrong with supermarket-driven
consumerism:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/g0lfw/6628699281/