[gorjuss] Links for Wednesday, 4th January 2012

Giles Turnbull giles at gilest.org
Wed Jan 4 09:08:46 PST 2012

Woman's Hour this morning included a fascinating phone-in on the
subject of big households. Twenty-somethings who've moved back with
parents, three- or four-generations sharing a home, that sort of
thing. Many of the callers had interesting tales to tell, including
several who'd taken in lodgers to help pay the bills. I think this is
going to be a growing theme for many of us in the coming years. Think
about your family now, or as it might be in years to come; who might
you end up sharing a home with? What rules would you want to have in
place, to ensure everyone's sanity?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b018xsmj

Simon Wistow's funny comment about Twitter conversations that would be
better held somewhere other than Twitter reminds me of Steve Yost's
quicktopic.com, aka Take It Offline, which was built to solve the same
problem on discussion mailing lists:

https://twitter.com/#!/deflatermouse/status/154312632889909248

Take It Offline was one of the many things I first read about on Keith
Dawson's TBTF (Tasty Bits from the Technology Front), which I'm
delighted to see continues to live on at its original location, and
with its original URLs:

http://tbtf.com/archive/1999-10-05.html#s06

Superchuck's "Tossing Seeds", a fave from my long-haired, acne-faced
student days, is on Spotithingy now:

http://open.spotify.com/album/0bNCLyTlvJIsUTSLsQ5bCx

Pingu's The Thing (thanks to @jasperbark):

http://youtu.be/ToCq_c3wOM8

(When I was a 6th former, our drama teacher began what he called "Film
Club" on Wednesday afternoons - mainly for fun, and for the benefit of
those of us who had no interest in previously-obligatory Wednesday
afternoon sports. One afternoon, he showed us The Thing, warning us
beforehand: "Things do get a little bit hairy in this one.")