[gorjuss] Links for Monday, 23rd January 2012

Giles Turnbull giles at gilest.org
Mon Jan 23 11:39:37 PST 2012

Delighted to see I'm A Scientist Get Me Out Of Here is expanding into
engineering too:

http://imanengineer.org.uk/

What's a "Water Retention Landscape"? It's a man-made lake designed to
capture water run-off and store it in as natural a way as possible. No
concrete or plastic membranes are used to hold water in; it can still
diffuse out through the ground. The lakes are designed to capture
prevailing winds, which create mini waves and help "stir" the water.
There are artificial changes in depth and surface topography, to
encourage more water movement.

Here's a 12-minute video explaining how they built one in Portugal.
Some of it's a bit too hippy-dippy for my tastes, but I find the
geo-technical aspects of it intriguing.

http://youtu.be/4hF2QL0D5ww

Paul Walk writes on "Library systems of the future" - this is a
fascinating bit of extrapolation from where we are now, and gives me
many things to consider (and fret about, if I'm honest) regarding my
son's education in the coming years.

http://blog.paulwalk.net/2012/01/20/library-systems-of-the-future/

My old friend Claire (@claireboobbyer) is a terrific travel writer.
>From last year, here's her guide to 24 hours in Ho Chi Min City:

http://goo.gl/YYpCE (wanderlust.co.uk)

Another friend, Chris Book, he of the Bath tech scene (oh yes, and
it's thriving), is part of a new tech TV show. Here's the preview
show.

http://hashbang.tv/

Rick Hurst writes up his experiences of using an Air as a primary
computer. I've been mulling making the same switch, but fear it
wouldn't handle Aperture well enough. Rick's comments make me wonder.

http://www.rickhurst.co.uk/2012/01/23/macbook-air-as-a-primary-machine/