[gorjuss] Links for Wednesday, 9th May 2012

Giles Turnbull giles at gilest.org
Wed May 9 03:10:27 PDT 2012

The John Peel Record Collection playlist has been updated with the "B"s:

http://open.spotify.com/user/gilest/playlist/422V1XS9NMxBOBHCEZ4mjz

That orange stuff you see around places you shouldn't walk through? It
costs £22 for 50m.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/barricade-fence/32220

You'll need some of these too.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/fencing-pins-1-2m-pack-of-10/32108

Here's Phil ranting about a subject close to my heart: "blog" being used to
refer to "blog post" - I came close to making a short video about it once,
and began writing a script that involved me waving bits of newspaper around
in the air. Wonder what happened to it?

http://www.gyford.com/phil/writing/2012/05/09/blog-blogpost.php

Last night I listened to the first two episodes of "Fatherland" on Radio 4
Extra. I've never read the book, and never considered it actually, but I
found this production unexpectedly gripping.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b007jmrk/Robert_Harriss_Fatherland_Episode_1/

I've also been listening to some Annie Nightingale. She's amazing.

http://bbc.in/KlYy28 (iPlayer)

I've been, for want of a better term, a "Mac blogger" for the best part of
a decade. First at O'Reilly's macdevcenter.com (*sigh*, those were the
days), then at tuaw.com, and more recently at cultofmac.com, where I've
been in charge of software reviews. That's changing soon. I'll still be
contributing occasional interviews to Cult of Mac, but I want to free up
time for more writing elsewhere, and for following up some other ideas. So
I'm ending my daily reviews gig there at the end of May.

That's also when I'll join Relly Annett-Baker's online course about content
strategy:

http://supernicestudio.com/class/

... which I'm really looking forward to. I think it will be very useful
stuff to know on the occasions when I'm wearing my copywriting hat. Relly
came and spoke at Bathcamp a couple of weeks ago:

http://bathcamp.org/events/all-about-the-content/

Bathcamp continues to be a fantastic monthly event. Relaxed, entertaining,
informative, full of interesting people.