[gorjuss] Links for Thursday, 16th May 2013

Giles Turnbull giles at gilest.org
Thu May 16 08:21:11 PDT 2013

Our side garden got totally out of control over the last couple of
years, so we've got Dave the gardener in to sort it out. He uses an
ancient spring-loaded fork to dig the ground up, it's ingenious. The
spring attaches about a third of the way up the shaft, then curves
round to a flat metal plate suspended parallel to ground level. As you
dig in and push with your arms, the plate pushes against the ground
and provides leverage, instead of your back muscles having to do it
all. Fantastic. Here's some photos of a spade version of the same
thing.

http://www.fredshed.co.uk/alternativediggingtools.htm

Boy George has a new podcast thing. I don't really know what sort of
dance music it is - I'm far too old for that - but I do know that he
doesn't talk much, and plays interesting bleepy stuff that I can
listen to without all that tedious mucking about in night clubs when
it's way after my bedtime.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/club-culture-radio/id642140227?mt=2

Some more stuff to listen to: Aleks Krotoski's Digital Human episode
on "Detox" was interesting on the train into London the other day

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/dh

And the new album from Nataly Dawn is beautiful

http://natalydawn.tumblr.com/tour (look she's on tour right now)
http://open.spotify.com/album/1n1nLPKQBME1Ua12dLvCHT

... she's the girl in this video, which I think m'colleague Mr Brook
linked to the other day. Thank you Mr Brook.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vEStDd6HVY

iPlayer automator, for those of you who haven't got it already

http://tom-tech.com/iplayer_automator/iPlayer_Automator/Get_iPlayer_Automator.html

What you and I call a clothes peg is called a "C47" in the film industry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clothespin#Filmmaking