[gorjuss] Links for Wednesday, 25th September 2013

Giles Turnbull giles at gilest.org
Wed Sep 25 12:46:30 PDT 2013

Back when I bought vinyl (them were the days sigh etc), this was one of my
favourite spur-of-the-moment purchases: "Greatest Hits vol 2" from the One
Little Indian label. In those days, I cared a great deal about record
labels. These days, not so much.

http://open.spotify.com/album/1KZgYdTG4bJHUU9qkQpUQN

The BBC has a report about Ordnance Survey data in Minecraft, which you
rather wonderful gorjuss subscribers will remember from back in August when
you heard it here first, oh yes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24177844
http://lists.gilest.org/htdig.cgi/gorjuss-gilest.org/2013-August/000109.html

List of short place names. In Scotland, there's a river called E and a
village called Ae.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_short_place_names

Some stuff about Blackfriars, the station that (now) spans the river

http://www.railway-technology.com/projects/london-blackfriars/
http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-02/21/the-new-blackfriars-station
http://tinyurl.com/nknogjr (building.co.uk)

The National Joint Registry. Human joints, not the ones you were taught in
woodwork.

http://www.njrcentre.org.uk/

Would you dress up as a panto dame to raise money for Hackney Empire and St
Joseph's Hospice? I reckon several of you would.

http://www.damedash.org/

If you walk from Holborn to Hackney - which isn't something anyone would do
often, but you know, if you did, like I did the other day - you'd pass the
site of the former Queen Elizabeth Hospital for Children. It's a big empty
spooky modern ruin now, with plants growing out from cracks in the
brickwork. What to do with it? What to do?

http://www.qech.co.uk/history/