[gorjuss] Links for Thursday, 3rd April 2014

Giles Turnbull giles at gilest.org
Thu Apr 3 12:26:22 PDT 2014

Pure Land, by Katharine Fry: "Pure Land is a circular structure set on
tidal mudflats on the Prime Meridian close to Grimsby. Its outside is
coated in polished steel panels, reflecting the flats, the fields, the
moving tides and your approach. You enter Pure Land using mechanical lifts
from a raised pontoon. Inside is a soundproofed seamless circular corridor."

http://katharineiswheeling.wordpress.com/pure-land-100/

We're doing 12 walks this year. Here's the route of walk 3, south of
Avebury, which we did last weekend.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gilest/13578192793/

Roomscan is an iOS app that draws floor plans for you. Just hold your phone
against each wall for a second or two, and it works the dimensions out. I
just tried it in my office, and it works. Impressive stuff.

http://locometric.com/

I also like the 15 second demo video. Showing the thing.

http://youtu.be/Karfy4Q9VZA

Our local museum has been doing a little archaeological dig this week

http://www.bradfordonavonmuseum.co.uk/archives/8283

My new favourite web thing is Ticketey Split:

http://splitticket.moneysavingexpert.com/

It's a tool that searches for cheaper ways to buy train tickets, by
splitting long journeys into two shorter single tickets. As someone who
spends a lot of time on trains, this is ace.

A coupe of examples: from London to home via Westbury, I could pay £87 for
a single in peak time, but if I get a single from London to Bedwyn, then
another from there to Bradford on Avon, it's only about £40. Ticketey Split
just found me another saving too: normally, London to home via Bath is £90
at peak. But if I buy a single from London to Didcot Parkway, then another
form there to home, I'll pay just £45.30.