[gorjuss] Experimenting with a new format

Giles Turnbull giles at gilest.org
Mon Jan 5 13:26:23 PST 2015

Hello you lovely gorjuss people, and happy new year.

For January, I'm experimenting with changes to how I write and publish
[gorjuss]. I'm wary of changing something that works, hence the
"experiment" label. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work.

The changes are:

- I'm publishing links on the web, as I find them:
http://gilest.org/links.html

- Then every couple of days, I'll grab the latest five or six links from
the top of that page and paste them into a message to [gorjuss]. You'll
still get a selection of interesting links to read, but they will arrive in
HTML, rather than plain text format.

Why am I doing this?

- I love sharing stuff by email, but my ad-hoc user research suggests most
people don't really like having more email to read. This new approach
creates a web page people can read (and which I can point people to via RSS
- hello RSS massive), but still means I can send links by email.

- Although I have a lot of nostalgic fondness for Mailman mailing lists and
the Pipermail archives generated from them, their presentation isn't
particularly up-to-date. Browsing the list archives is painful, searching
isn't great, and reading on a mobile device is horrible. It would be nice
to be publishing something that's a bit more 2015 and a bit less 1998. Just
a bit.

The first experimental message to the list follows this one.

Feedback, comments, jokes, links and the usual gubbins can be sent to me at
the usual place: giles at gilest.org

And thank you for subscribing in the first place.

  Giles