[gorjuss] Links for Monday, 5th January 2015

Giles Turnbull giles at gilest.org
Mon Jan 5 13:28:40 PST 2015

¶ Transforming Vauxhall Cross
<https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/roads/vauxhall-cross>
Plans afoot to redesign the road/rail/Tube/bus interchange at Vauxhall, and
make the whole thing more people-friendly. Scroll down for before/after
maps. As a frequent pedestrian and catcher-of-buses from here, I'd agree
that some sort of upgrade is necessary. Right now, it's pretty horrible to
walk through, even if you're just trying to get to a bus stop.
posted at 20:00 on 5 Jan 2015

¶ Novelty Automation <http://www.novelty-automation.com/>
Tim Hunkin's opening another coin-operated arcade of wonder just round the
corner from my office. I expect all you hip kids knew about this already.
posted at 17:10 on 5 Jan 2015

¶ Ice huts <http://www.icehuts.ca/>
Or "sheds in Canada" - thanks @psd <http://twitter.com/psd>.
posted at 14:05 on 5 Jan 2015

¶ composed.com <https://www.composed.com/>
Five quid a month classical music streaming. They did well to grab that
domain name.
posted at 12:42 on 5 Jan 2015

¶ A grim prognosis for the humble light switch?
<http://luxreview.com/news/509/a-grim-prognosis-for-the-humble-light-switch>
I dunno, I'm still quite fond of them myself.
posted at 11:09 on 2 Jan 2015

¶ Three things a city in charge of its destiny ought to know about software
<http://blog.mattedgar.com/2015/01/01/three-things-a-city-in-charge-of-its-destiny-ought-to-know-about-software/>
Matt Edgar has been doing some thinking:

This is how platforms are made in the age of software, not by fiat of a
central authority but emergently with layer built upon layer in response to
the needs of users and the growing capabilities of makers. As platforms
build they can raise everyone up to levels of attainment previously only
available to a privileged few. They don’t so much lower the barriers to
entry as help us to scramble over them – by wrapping up what used to be
hard in easy-to-use packages.

posted at 22:56 on 1 Jan 2015

(Experimental new format. Like it? Hate it? Let me know - G)