[gorjuss] Links for Thursday, 8th January 2015

Giles Turnbull giles at gilest.org
Thu Jan 8 10:23:36 PST 2015

¶ How to play balloony <http://gilest.org/balloony.html>
It's a game we've been playing for a few years now.
posted at 18:21 on 8 Jan 2015

¶ Infrastructure as code in government <http://youtu.be/KRMYr_Bw04g>
An excellent talk by Anna - even if some of the details go over your head
(as they do mine), it's well worth listening to if you want to understand
why GDS writes code in the open.
posted at 17:39 on 8 Jan 2015

¶ Thotch - the music videos <http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01rx4bb>
Really hope Brian and the boys will reform one day.
posted at 12:11 on 8 Jan 2015

¶ epub to mobi <http://www.epub2mobi.com/>
Converts epub files into something (like a mobi file) you can read on a
Kindle. I just used it to get Ra <http://qntm.org/ra> on to mine.
posted at 12:03 on 8 Jan 2015

¶ The Morning News Tournament of Books 2015
<http://www.themorningnews.org/article/announcing-the-morning-news-2015-tournament-of-books>
The Rooster returns! I've not read any of these. I want to, though.
posted at 11:44 on 8 Jan 2015

¶ Radio Nowhere's best of 2014
<http://radionowhereuk.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/radionowheres-best-of-2014.html>
I've been listening to Radio Nowhere off-and-on for years now. It's unique.
An indie radio station producing a series of podcasts that play music you
really don't hear anywhere else. Good music, too. Although Christopher
Laird's voice and presenting style is an acquired taste, his choice of
records in this round-up of last year's indie songs is excellent. I enjoyed
listening to this show on the train home last night, sat back with my
headphones on while First Great Western happened around me.
posted at 11:40 on 8 Jan 2015

¶ Daido Moriyama in pictures
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foWAs3V_lkg#t=660>
A short film (11 mins) about the Japanese photographer who walks the
streets with a simple compact camera.
posted at 11:26 on 8 Jan 2015

¶ Hands-on with a legend
<http://petapixel.com/2013/05/19/return-of-the-legend-hands-on-with-the-ricoh-gr/>
A year after buying it, I'm still learning how to use my Ricoh GR camera.
It's a tiny little marvel of a thing. This page has some tips and useful
suggestions.
posted at 09:33 on 8 Jan 2015

¶ The Eagle nebula photographed in 1995 and 2014
<http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/p1501ay.jpg>
This accompanying article
<http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2015/07jan_pillarsofcreation/>
says
there are visible differences between the two, but after some minutes of
squinting I can't see them myself. Still: amazing images.
posted at 09:28 on 8 Jan 2015

¶ Alice Bartlett's 2014 yearnote
<http://alicebartlett.co.uk/blog/yearnotes-2014>
Alice did lots of interesting things last year.
posted at 15:31 on 7 Jan 2015

¶ The internet column archive
<http://gilest.org/internet-column-archive.html>
My archive of everything I wrote for my weekly syndicated column between
2000 and 2014.
posted at 23:59 on 6 Jan 2015