[gorjuss] Links for Thursday, 14th March 2013

Giles Turnbull giles at gilest.org
Thu Mar 14 15:54:11 PDT 2013

I promise I'll try not to include too much work-related, GDS-specific
stuff in [gorjuss] as time goes on, but Tom Loosemore published this
post on the GDS blog this week and I thought it was great, so I
thought I'd pass it on.

http://digital.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/2013/03/12/were-not-appy-not-appy-at-all/

Optician humour. My friend Sam is an optician and he says this is hiliarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxZ8IjdpzDg

Alfred 2 came out today. I think they could have done a much better
job communicating certain aspects of v2 *before* people downloaded and
paid for it. Because it's an entirely new app, the upgrade isn't
smooth and requires a fair amount of manual tweaking and fiddling
about. I've jumped through those hoops (somewhat grumpily) and
everything is how I like it now. There was a few minutes in the middle
where Command+Space either did nothing at all (RAGE!) or opened *both*
Alfred 1 *and* Alfred 2. (RAAAGE!). I've calmed down now.

https://alfredapp.com/

David Ferguson's workflows add a lot of extras, and one of them is
essential if you're migrating

http://dferg.us/

I particularly like the local weather forecast workflow:

http://dferg.us/weather-for-alfred-2/

and the favourite folders one:

http://dferg.us/favorite-folders-workflow/

Five things worth knowing before you go to Cuba

http://www.wanderlust.co.uk/magazine/blogs/claire-boobbyer/know-before-you-go-cuba

Kids ask scientists: what's worse for you, alcohol, drugs or ciggies?

http://is.gd/Cg3QKr (imascientist.org.uk)