[gorjuss] Links for Friday, 24th May 2013

Giles Turnbull giles at gilest.org
Fri May 24 01:00:23 PDT 2013

Denise thinking out loud about UX

http://tinyurl.com/denise-ux (styledeficit.tumblr.com)

Paul wrote an eye-opening post about the Golden Gate Bridge. I had no
idea it was that huge. It's enormous. Boris would be inundated with
complaints if he tried building something of that size in London now.

http://notes.husk.org/post/50966586015/golden-gate-in-london

Copyright! In! Spaaaace! by the Economist (thanks @tomstandage)

http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2013/05/economist-explains-12

(I half expected that copyright law, in the eyes of copyright lawyers
at least, would extend vertically upwards from each national boundary.
The lawyers would end up arguing over vast chunks of the solar system,
and commissioning expensive software models showing which copyright
applied to which plantary body at which time. That would mean the
copyright lawyers learning about physics, which wouldn't be a bad
thing would it?)

Would you like to go down into the Thrihnukagigur volcano? Of course
you would. Amazing footage

Another thing I didn't know about: the Foreign and Commonwealth Office
has *loads* of blogs written by embassy and consulate staff all over
the world. Take a look at the list in the "Select a blogger" list,
there's dozens of 'em.

http://blogs.fco.gov.uk/

Here's a post from George Edgar, our man in Uzbekistan

http://blogs.fco.gov.uk/georgeedgar/2013/05/10/memorial-day/

And here's Marianne Young, the High Commissioner in Windhoek, Namibia

http://blogs.fco.gov.uk/marianneyoung/

Finally, a thing about food that's been on my "to watch" list for
ages. It's Christina Warinner debunking the paleo diet fad in a TED
talk. She doesn't just debunk the theory, she teaches you a few
things. Broccoli is basically a very dense flower head.

http://tedxtalks.ted.com/video/Debunking-the-Paleo-Diet-Christ

My favourite bit of the Robert Brook newsletter this week: "I
retreated from RSS feeds some time back - and I only keep a weather
eye on Twitter, so to all intents I might as well be in the 1920s."

If you're reading this one, you really ought to be reading that one.

http://robertbrook.com/